“Out of the box” can mean being creative in weird ways, but it can also mean doing things in a stock standard way.
It’s worth churches thinking through how they market themselves by looking at how other “similar” industries go about reaching their market.
How could a church leverage these aspects of their nature…
- Similar to a “debt alleviation” company?
- Similar to a “life insurance” company?
- Similar to a “self-help / recovery group”?
- Similar to an “Adult education” provider?
- Similar to an “Historical society”
It seems that a church could market itself like any of these… Because a church can be all of these.
But there lies the issue… If you only market one aspect of yourself, you run the risk of under-communicating, which is just another word for mis-communicating.